In 2015, the Australian gambling market grew to be worth US$17.4 billion, or A$24.1 billion - an increase of 6% year on year.
Australia also has the highest rate of citizens who gamble in some form or another. Around 80% of the adult population reportedly gambles, whether on lotteries, bingo, sports betting or pokies.
With a population of 23 million people, Australians also spend more on gambling than anywhere else around the globe.
The Australian gambling industry represents 1.2% of the country's GDP.
Online gambling is the country's fastest growing gambling segment, and increases by around 15% each year. 7% of the Australian gambling market is made up by internet gambling.
Playing Pokies in Australia
Half of Australia's gambling market is made up of pokies, or electronic gambling machines. Two years ago, statistics showed that for every 108 people in the country, there was one pokie machine.
New South Wales has more gambling machines within its borders than anywhere else in the world, bar Nevada in the United States. NSW still has a long way to go to beat Nevada's numbers, however. The Silver State has double the number of New South Wales.
Australia Online Gambling Statistics
In 2015, the gambling data specialists H2 Gambling Capital released interesting statistics about Australia's online gambling market. Some of the findings were as follows:
- Up to 77% of Australian online gamblers are male.
- The average age of online gamblers is 39.
- The average online gamblers has a full time job and a university degree.
- Most online gamblers appreciated the convenience factor and said that there was better choice, service and value in igaming products compared to land based casino products.
- 80% of online gamblers wager on sports and racing products.
- 57% of online gamblers play online casino games.
- 26% of online gamblers play online poker.
- 17% of online gamblers play online slots.
- 14% of online gamblers play through their mobile devices.