Top American Express Casinos for Australian Players
About American Express
American Express is one of the giants in the world of card-based payments. All you have to do to confirm this fact is take a look at the numbers:
Net income of $2.7 billion
Total revenue of $33.4 billion
Total assets worth $181 billion
Worldwide billed business of $1.1 trillion
It is the only company in the world with a robust presence across the whole payments chain. There are a range of cards available to suit various usage purposes - 12 in all.
Cards are not the only offering from American Express; there are a range of other products and services, including insurance, travel bookings and online services. You can also use American Express service offerings to buy foreign currency.
There are many reasons for the popularity that American Express enjoys. Three major ones are:
They provide premium service.
They are completely secure and use intelligent security technology to detect unusual spending patterns that could be an indicator of fraud, thereby saving you from running up losses because of unethical practices by someone else hacking into your card account.
The cards come bundled with exciting the AMEX Offers feature. Each American Express card has a range of freebies and bonus offers from popular retail stores and brands for you to cash in on.
Of course, there is the other side to using an American Express credit card: paying back the money used from the card. You can do so by paying the full amount back, or by paying back in easy monthly instalments.
One more thing about American Express: it has a relatively higher vendor-side fee compared to some of the other payment majors around, which is why not too many merchants and online casinos support this method. But the ones that do immediately fit the bill of a provider that cares more about its players than about a small issue on its side like a higher fee to AMEX.
How to Get an American Express Credit Card
Getting an American Express credit card is not too difficult. You can get it from any of the following:
American Express branch office
You can get it directly from the physical location of the company's branch office by visiting the place and applying for a card.
There are a number of reputed banks that offer American Express credit cards. This is a definite possibility especially in the case of employees of multinational companies out of the US.
American Express website
One way of getting a card easily is by visiting the American Express website. You will need to register with the company to be able to log in and apply for a card.
There are different kinds of cards available from American Express under four major categories:
Personal cards: These include cash back credit cards, travel credit cards, no annual fee credit cards and more.
Small business cards: These include a range of small business charge cards and credit cards.
Corporate cards: These include a range of corporate cards aimed at corporate employees.
Prepaid travel card: These include prepaid gift cards and also prepaid debit cards.
With so many options available, the website may be the best place to shop for an American Express card. This is how you do it:
- Visit the American Express website.
- Click the Cards menu and click on one of the 4 major card types. You will get a listing of all the card types under that category.
- Click on the card that you want.
- You are taken to the next screen, where you get started with opening an account for that card.
- Enter your name and e-mail id and then click the Open an Account button to get started.
- Fill up the form with the required details and then click Submit.
- Once the form is filled and submit, your credit history and other related details are verified and if all is positive you get the American Express card of your choice.
There are certain factors that determine whether you get the American Express card. And if you do, those factors also determine the credit limit and other details associated with your card. These factors include:
- Your monthly income
- Your credit history
- Your monthly credit dues
Where to Use an American Express Credit Card
American Express cards can be used anywhere. You can use your AMEX card at an online shopping site, or at the departmental store near you. All it needs is for that shop or website to accept AMEX. Some of these, including some of the online casinos, do not accept AMEX because of the slightly high vendor fees associated with the card.
Advantages of Using American Express
There are numerous advantages to using an American Express card. We list the top advantages below.
- They are easy to use: Everything about the American Express card, from sign up to actually using it, is simple and easy.
- Instant deposits: Deposits with American Express are instant, which means your money will reach your casino account fast.
- Access to money: You get instant access to funds even if you are low on them in your bank account. The credit limit of course depends on your credit history and other factors, but you are guaranteed access to money when you need it provided you haven't maxed out your card.
- Ease of return: The money is available to you on loan when you use an AMEX credit card, which means you need to return it as well. You can return in bulk or in easy instalments over a period of time.
- Availability of discounts: All American Express cards come with freebies and discounts through a built-in feature designed to reward players for using the card.
- Complete security: American Express offers a completely secure transaction experience. The use of the latest security technologies used by banks and other financial institutions ensures your money is safe.
- The advantage of being a global payments giant: American Express has been a global payments giant for decades now and is way older than some of the other payment companies. That gives it the advantage of time and experience and ensures you can deposit funds regardless of where you are located, as long as there is an American Express presence there.
There are of course a few disadvantages of using American Express, but those are limited to their credit cards only. It is money that is available for you to use, apart from what you have in your bank, and that may result in you wanting to use it all. Things can get especially tricky if you are losing, because it is so easy to throw caution to the wind and spend more from your card - overshooting your original budget - in trying to trigger a winning streak and winning back what you lost.
And even if the above scenario doesn't arise, you still have to return the money you spent. There is an interest amount involved, and you end up paying back more than what you spent.
How to Make an Online Casino Deposit with American Express
We have so far learnt about the different aspects of using American Express as a payment option. It is simple, easy and secure. Now we take a look at the actual process of using it to deposit funds. You must understand that not all online casinos will accept American Express. So the first task is to check that the casino you are looking to play at supports this payment method.
The following are the steps to deposit funds into your online casino account using American Express.
- Visit the casino's website and hit the Register or Sign Up button.
- Choose a username and password for your account.
- Click the Continue button.
- Provide all your details that the casino asks for and then click Register to open your account.
- Once your account is open, go to the Banking or Cashier section and click Deposit.
- Select American Express as the payment option for depositing funds.
- Enter your unique code number from your AMEX card and your name. Make sure that your name spells exactly the same as it is on your AMEX card. Other details to enter include:
The CVV number that is there on the back of your card.
The card expiration date.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit. You may get an OTP on the registered mobile device you have provided. Enter the OTP to confirm and then click Deposit.
The money gets transferred into your casino account instantly. When it comes to withdrawals, not all casinos support American Express for withdrawals. At the ones that do offer this as a withdrawal method, the process is much the same as it is for depositing funds. Withdrawals take longer, however, as the casinos have an elaborate process to verify and authenticate the identity of the person making the withdrawal request to ensure zero incidence of fraud. There will be a fee for using American Express, however. This fee is anywhere between 1% and 5% of the amount being transferred.
Brief History of American Express
American Express is one of the oldest financial institutions in the USA. It was founded in 1845 and is today headquartered in New York. The birth of American Express was the result of the merging and realignment of three companies that were at that time actively involved in the business of transporting goods, valuables and livestock between New York City and Buffalo.
These companies were:
- Livingston, Fargo & Company: The company was earlier known as Western Express and founded in 1845 by Henry Wells and William G. Fargo. The company later became famous as Wells Fargo.
- Wells & Co: This company was earlier known as Livingston, Wells & Co. and co-founded in 1846 by Wells.
- Butterfield and Wasson: This was a company founded by John Butterfield and James D. Wasson.
The company flourished and soon had 900 offices in 10 states. It had serious competition from the Merchants Union Express Company, which was formed in 1866. After 2 years of being rivals, the two entities merged on 25th November, 1868 and became the American Merchants Union Express Company. The company was rebranded to American Express in 1873.
The following is a brief timeline of the company's growth:
The company is born as Western Express.
Western Express merges with its fierce rival the Merchants Union Express Company to become American Merchants Union Express Company.
American Merchants Union Express Company is rebranded and becomes American Express.
The American Express Money Order product is introduced.
American Express introduces to the market the American Express Travelers Cheque.
American Express opens its first international office in Paris.
The green colored American Express charge card is introduced.
The company diversifies its holdings by acquiring businesses in divergent sectors like insurance, investment banking and publishing.
Company continues to grow, but sells off its publishing wing, which was behind magazines like Travel & Leisure and Food & Wine.
Today, American Express is a leading payments company worldwide. Its range of cards and the complete security and ease of use attached to them makes them a good bet for use at online casinos.